Monday, February 9, 2009

Cuckoo
























I rescued this bird this morning.

Plain grey head, streak underparts and hawk like barred caudal feathers. This is probably a Hodgson's Hawk Cuckoo ( Cuculus fugax) .

This bird was earlier attacked by a gang of ferocious crows.

It was badly battered and highly dehydrated when I first examined it. I sprayed water in his head and mouth and kept it in a dark room for a few hours to calm it down. As of 5pm today, I moved it to a brighter aviary and it was able to stand on a tree branch. It looked refreshed but still weak. However I think it should be able to survive. I have left some banana in the aviary. Cuckoo are fruit eaters. So I think it will be able feed on it and regain its strength to fly tomorrow.

10th Feb 2009
The bird was able to fly a bit and stand a branch but still. weak. I rekon if I relase it, it will be hunted and attacked by the crows . So I decided to keep it for a few days .

11the Feb 2009
The bird was offered papaya, maize and banana. no sign of it eating. White droppings on the floor.

13th Feb 209
The food was still intact. no sign of the bird eating.
I suspect it was having fever.

14th Feb 2009
The bird is disorientated. Forced feeding with papaya attempted.

15th Feb 2009
Some worms were given but it refused to swallow.

16th Feb 2009
The bird finally died.

No comments: